Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
You’ve come to the right place! HWCLI’s Valet VITA program is generously supported by Citi Community Development. Additional support is provided by Bank of America, Capital 1, and Bridgehampton National Bank.
You can prepare your 2019 taxes with us starting February 1, 2020.
If your household income was less than $56,000 in 2019, you could qualify for completely free tax preparation!
The Virtual VITA program utilizes technology to connect the taxpayer and tax preparer. The process is quick and simple.
1. HWCLI staff will scan your tax documents to our secure online system and assist you in completing the intake forms.
2. Documents are uploaded to our secure online system. Tax returns are prepared every weekend by our IRS certified volunteers.
3. One of our site coordinators will call you within a week of your intake to complete your return over the phone. They will confirm your identity, discuss your income, expenses, any money owed, as well as if you qualify for a refund or tax credits.
4. You can return to the site the following week to sign and file your return.
Here are all the documents you need to bring to file your taxes through HWCLI’s Virtual VITA Program.
• Joint returns require both filers to be present to sign the return
• You MUST bring Social Security Cards or ITIN for all people on the tax return
• Valid Photo Identification (You and your spouse, if you are filing jointly)
• Receipts for all deductions being claimed
• Proof of any cash income being claimed
• W-2 for all jobs you had in 2018
• Voided check and/or savings account number if you want direct deposit of your refund (Optional)
• Form 1099-R or SSA if you receive a pension or Social Security
• Form 1099-G if you received unemployment benefits
• If you have educational expenses, bring the 1098-T or 1098-E form
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099– DIV or INT)
• Total paid for child care & child care providers tax ID or Social Security
• Number of child care provider
• Form 1098—Mortgage interest and property taxes
• NEW: If you purchased health insurance through the New York State of Health Marketplace, bring form 1095-A or B
We cannot prepare your taxes if you have:
• Health Savings Account
• Any of the following income: rent income (Scheduled E), royalties, partnerships, trust or farm income, Air BnB Income
• Tax returns for ministers or members of the clergy.
• Moving expenses
• Form 4797 Sales of Business Property.
• Self-employed health insurance deductions.
• Domestic productions activities (form 8903).
• Credits from forms 2439, 8839 and 8885.
• Federal tax fuel Scheduled 4136.
• Household employment Scheduled H.
• PR income, Foreign Earned Income exemption (forms 2555/2555-EZ).
• Adoption Credit.
• Out of state returns or part-year residents of NYS
Join us in creating a future for Long Island in which everyone has an equal opportunity to prosper and thrive.
Join Our Network
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Established in 1947, the Health and Welfare Council of Long Island (HWCLI) is a regional, nonprofit umbrella organization for health and human service providers. We are dedicated to improving the lives of Long Island’s most vulnerable residents by responding to their needs through the promotion and development of public policies and direct services.
We've Moved! 110 Walt Whitman Road, Suite 101, Huntington Station, NY 11746
Tune in now to watch our keynote speaker, @drturnerlee!
Dr. Nicol Turner Lee is a senior fellow in Governance Stu… https://t.co/BInSuDd9X2
#2 months ago
We are live! Click this link to join: https://t.co/5GKie5tdQ4 https://t.co/DU3s2ChKMP
#2 months ago
Copyright ©2019 HWCLI. All Rights Reserved. Designed by FBC